Home Forums Important DNP Student Surveys: Please Complete to Support Colleagues The Influences that Promote Identification and Response of Trafficked Persons by Nurses with a Doctor of Nursing Practice Degree Reply To: The Influences that Promote Identification and Response of Trafficked Persons by Nurses with a Doctor of Nursing Practice Degree

Ana B
Participant

Hello Shaneke Pryce,

Thank you for your study and adding to the knowledge base for this very important topic of human trafficking. I am currently taking an advanced role development course for the DNP degree, so I was not able to partake in your survey, but I look forward to learning the results of your study. I would like to add a few things on this very vital topic, since it is very prevalent in my city: Bakersfield, California.

On January 28th 2023 I participated in the first Race Against Human Trafficking 5K run that supported the Kern County Family Justice Center Foundation for human trafficking victims. Here is where I learned more about this awful crime. It is highly profitable and has resulted in a rapidly growing criminal industry on our city streets and online. Traffickers can make up to $2,500 a day by forcibly selling victims in the sex trade industry. Traffickers can also brand their victims by forcing their victims to get the trafficker’s name tattooed on their body.

State and federal law enforcement agencies, including the California Attorney General, define human trafficking as modern-day slavery. I also found it alarming that in California it’s only a misdemeanor if someone is caught in these crimes. During this 5K I learned the importance on sharing knowledge and pushing for the governor to make this criminal offense a felony to help reduce these alarming crimes. On April 25, 2023 according to an article in the Times of San Diego; Senate Bill 14 by Shannon Grove, a republican from Bakersfield, advocated for reducing human trafficking. In this bill, trafficking minors would be a felony, this bill passed its first hurdle in legislature.

I also attended the 8th Annual Trauma Symposium conference last year in Clovis Ca, where I learned to look for signs when caring for patients in the Emergency room and ICU units that could be a victim. We learned how to approach them, the common tattoos they can have when branded, and what to do if we suspect they could be victims.

Best of luck in your studies and thank you again for your choice of study.

Ana B Ceja V.