Home Forums The Controversy of the DOCTOR Title title of Doctor

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Deborah Lewis
    Participant

I get the physicians having a problem with the title of Dr. I introduce myself as a Nurse Practitioner to all patients. They often call me Dr. Debbie. Even when I correct them they still say “you are my doctor”. I do agree that using the title outside academia can be confusing to patients. But, if we educate them then we are promoting our degree and qualifications. No NP with a DNP should be fined for using the title Dr. unless it is for purposefully promoting themselves as a doctor. I truly doubt there are any NPs who do this.

Ellonora
    Participant

Deborah,
    I can understand as well using the title of Doctor if the person does not have the qualifications. I also agree with telling patients you are a Nurse Practitioner when introducing yourself. What is discouraging is that many other professions, such as educators, scientists, and lawyers with PhDs, address themselves as Dr. in public, and it is not questioned or punished. Advanced Practice Nurses have the education, qualifications, and experience. They deserve the right to promote their degree and qualifications as long as they are not misrepresenting themselves as medical doctors or other professionals. It starts with nurses of all degrees supporting each other and advocating for each other. Standardization and qualifications for nursing in all roles, such as leadership, specialty area, and management, are needed to bring credibility to the profession and prevent further issues, such as advanced practice nurses being fined for using a title that they not only worked hard for but deserve to be recognized for.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.