Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Janet (Jan)
    Participant

Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) are increasingly transitioning into roles as nurse educators due to several compelling reasons. First, they bring a wealth of clinical experience and advanced knowledge that can enhance the quality of education for nursing students. Second, there is a significant shortage of nurse educators, and DNPs can fill this gap, helping to educate the next generation of nurses. Lastly, being a nurse educator provides DNPs with the opportunity to shape the future of nursing practice and healthcare policy from an academic perspective.
    There are several interpersonal and institutional barriers that I’ve experienced firsthand upon returning to Sage College for my postmasters as a nurse educator and a psychiatric nurse practitioner, after earning my Doctor of Nursing Practice at Stony Brook. I was met with skepticism and a negative demeanor from my former professors, one of whom referred to me condescendingly as “Miss DNP” while they were pursuing their own Doctor of Nursing Science degrees. While I respected their academic pursuits, this attitude felt dismissive and undermined my desire to contribute to the institution.
    Despite my eagerness to teach a class, I was offered only clinical rotations. This was disheartening as I felt I had more to offer. I feared that these biases might affect my academic standing negatively, prompting me to take proactive measures. I approached the Dean, presenting my concerns about the curriculum and the potential for unfair grade manipulation.
    I was determined to ensure fair treatment and maintain my academic integrity. After voicing my concerns, necessary corrections were made. I managed to graduate on time with the grades I rightfully earned. My journey into teaching was never about financial gain; it was always about the gratification of seeing my students progress and thrive in their careers.
    Indeed, the journey to becoming an educator is fraught with challenges, some of which may seem insurmountable. I’ve heard remarks questioning the validity of my qualifications, questioning whether a postmaster’s degree in education is sufficient for teaching. Some even argue that a PhD is necessary to command respect in the academic field. I’ve encountered similar sentiments in job descriptions, such as one at the University of Connecticut, where the qualifications for a full-time professor explicitly require a PhD. I invite others to share their experiences and thoughts on this matter. Does a DNP adequately qualify you for a teaching role? How do we navigate these biases and barriers in academia? Let’s open up this discussion and learn from each other’s experiences.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello Janet, I am anew DNP FNP student and before entering this program I did not know that I would be able to contribute to academia. DNPs are more then qualified to teach because of the diversity they bring. DNPs bring a different perspective and can help students transition from class to practice. I believe students should have a diverse faculty to learn from as this will only give them more access to many different perspectives. I have not gone through your situation however, my nursing school reached out to my class for updates. I informed them that I was currently in a DNP program and they informed that if I wanted to teach or precept they would love to have me. It made me feel valued and as if I was heading in the right path. I hope to one day pass on my skill and my knowledge. When that time comes I hope to be met with open arms.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.