Home Forums DNP Student Concerns DNP Collaboration

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Alyssa
    Participant

When we graduate with a DNP degree, we will be practicing medicine, and primarily working with physician colleagues. How can we as DNPs practice at the same standard of physicians but also integrate the nursing philosophy and our nursing background into our practice?

I must reply to your note and question this approach. After someone graduates with a DNP degree, they will have earned an academic degree. This degree does not in-and-of-itself authorize advanced practice nursing. Are you working to earn your Nurse Practitioner designation also?

A second concern I have with your statement is that you will be practicing medicine. This is not true. You may be in advanced practice nursing and have an NP credential but that is not practicing medicine – it is advanced practice nursing.

To say you or any nurse if practicing medicine is a falsehood. I put this out there as soon as I saw your note to help assure that all nursing colleagues are working toward a common goal: Improving health care outcomes in the context of our skills, education, license, and certification.

What do you think?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thank you for your insight. As a student I am still learning how to navigate my future role. I am in a DNP-FNP program and as an APRN I will be guided by the DNP essential to provide care for my community. Wylie (2016) explains, “Two of the eight essentials that are most pertinent to enhancing an integrative approach as a DNP practitioner are: Essential I scientific underpinnings for practice and Essential VII clinical prevention and population health for improving the nation’s health”. As APRNs we learn why the DNP essential are essential. The DNP essentials are an answer to the IOM and the recommendation they had for APRNs. Even though we will not be practicing medicine NPs are an answer to the huge gaps and complexities in healthcare. In speaking to fellow NPs they have nursing fundamentals and are able to connect with patients in way that other healthcare providers are not. I believe our nursing background is our advantage to our community because as a current practicing nurse, I spend the most time with my patient and I am able to connect with them outside of their disease. This is something that I will carry throughout my career.

References
    Wylie, N. (2016). Implementing Integrative Care as a DNP to Increase Patient Health Outcomes. Beginnings, 36(3), 14–15.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.